Friday, May 23, 2008

Post-production update

Tuesday night's shoot went great. That nephew of mine clearly has a future in this business. His mom acted circles around me too. I spent the last two nights editing our footage, and the pieces, complete with a score from EmptyGym and a voice over from Alec Mendez, fit together pretty well. We're heading up to New York for the long weekend, but I will take a fresh look at the video when we get back on Monday and make any final adjustments then. The contest deadline was pushed back to June 3rd, so some of the extra pressure is off. We haven't decided for sure if I can post it on YouTube before the judging takes place, but I hope so. Otherwise, assuming we make the cut, it will be available on Summit's website after June 9th. The name of the video is "Bad Baby," and I think it will find its place beside "Drunken Laundry" and "PC vs. Me" in the Moon Lake Multimedia canon. If you're not expecting more than that, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I still have my final Bud Light video to edit before the end of the month as well, and for some reason those have a way of taking longer than anything else. It has something to do with them being more open ended and scriptless; it's like putting together a puzzle without having a picture on the box. "Bad Baby" had a script (albeit one that was scribbled out late one night), so there were fewer decisions to make while editing. The Bud Light videos and, even more so, my upcoming "Fake Empire" video are fluid and less clearly defined up front. Sometimes the strategy is to throw an hour of footage against the wall and see what sticks. The cleaning up of the mess is what's so time-consuming.

0 comments: