Friday, May 30, 2008

Lost and gone for what seems like forever

We watched the season finale of Lost in our favorite independent movie theater last night. Truth be told, I think the show looks better on our TV at home. The color was dull and the refresh rate a bit slow. I guess this is why film, rather than broadcast TV, is usually shown in theaters. (There I go complaining again... I'm becoming an A/V snob.)

It was fun to make an event out of watching the episode. We didn't dress up as castaways or anything, but R did win first prize in the trivia contest. I'm so proud of her :) All of those hours glued to the TV since the very first episode are finally paying off. Her prize was a piece of Lost-inspired jewelry designed by a woman from around here who was flown out to Hawaii by ABC to visit the set and give her work to the cast... or something like that. I didn't get the whole scoop.

The episode itself was action-packed and intriguing, everything I could want from a finale. It didn't completely pull the rug out from under us like last year's did, but that would have been impossible to pull off again. I'm impressed that this show can continue to surprise me as much as it does. I keep asking, where is it going to go from here? And it keeps answering... not all at once, like so many fans seem to want, but rather episode by episode. I prefer the mystery and think answers are ultimately less satisfying than questions. I have faith that they will tie up the loose ends eventually. With so many intertwining story lines, it seems like it would be easy for the show to spin out of control or lose the audience completely, but the produces have held it together extremely well. Let the long wait for season five begin.

0 comments: