Monday, May 12, 2008

Goin' out west (the big news)

A little over two years ago, when I announced our plans to relocate from Mobile to Wilmington in my old blog, I used the following song lyric from one of my favorite bands, Spoon:

In traffic we become on the way back home
Part of something bigger than just on our own.


I'm including it again now because it has become sort of a personal motto for the years-long journey around the country that R and I are making. I use the present tense in that sentence because the circle (actually, cross is more accurate) is not complete. As much as I love the city of Wilmington and the surplus of opportunity we've found here, it was never meant to be a final destination. It's a stop along the way, albeit a stop that lasted long enough for us to explore much of the upper east coast and to dive into the local culture, make some good friends, and possibly even leave a small but noticeable imprint. In some ways I think I grew more attached to this place than I did to even the Twin Cities. There is something more manageable about Wilmington. It lives up to its slogan, "A Place to be Somebody," in that it's small enough to almost be conquerable, yet large enough to feel like that would be an accomplishment. For those reasons, it will be difficult to say good-bye.

We are moving to Santa Barbara, California in June.

R is being transferred within her company, and as usual I'm along for the ride. But I am by no means dragging my feet. The biggest downside to moving around the country for R's job is that I would typically need to sacrifice my own in the process. That is not so this time. I've decided to retain my current job -- my employer is allowing me to work remotely. I will admit part of me was hoping to have to quit so I could have a few months off to enjoy the beach after the move and explore different career options, but the income will be nice to have considering the increased cost of living in Santa Barbara, and plus, there are still a few things I want to see through at this company. If I'm going to quit, I want it to be on my own terms.

R's new job sounds exciting. She's going to be helping develop organic light emitting diodes, a technology that is comparable but superior to liquid crystal displays. I'll let her tell you more about it sometime, rather than misrepresent it myself. She'll be working the afternoon shift out there, from 3pm until midnight, so there will be a schedule adjustment for us. It's a good thing I will be working out of our home, otherwise I'd never get to see her. Maybe we can eat lunch together this way anyhow.

California... I never would have guessed I'd live there one day. It's such a mythical place for me, a place from movies and Mason Jennings songs. My parents took me and my brothers out there on a vacation one summer during my high school years. We drove from San Francisco to Los Angeles along the coast. My memories are bits and pieces, but I remember being enthralled by the chance of running into stars and being inspired by the energy of the people and the beauty of the ocean.

When the possibility of moving to California first presented itself to R and me, there was no way we could resist going for it. Right now it seems like an absolutely necessary part of our life experience.

0 comments: