Friday, May 02, 2008

Anniversary #3

Happy anniversary to us (on Wednesday). Three years in, and we're going strong. It's great having such a lovable, loving, intelligent, goofy wife. I can be myself around her more so than when I'm by myself. We get to be constants for each other; it makes facing change and new situations so much easier to always have my best friend near by -- somebody to bounce ideas off of, somebody who understands me, somebody to share inside jokes with. She's a real fish... I mean a catch. (Have you noticed that fish seem to be recurring motif on this blog?)

To mark our special occasion, we spent last weekend hiding away at a bed & breakfast in New Hope, PA, a small town north of Philly. The town is on the Delaware River, near where George Washington crossed one fateful December 26th morning. We crossed in the same spot, only higher in the air (see here).

We biked quite a bit. In order to make a loop we even faced some closed trails. I literally said, "closed schmosed" when we saw the first sign posted. Soon after, the trails degraded into a washed out mess of rocks and trees. The activity became what we like to call "hiking with bikes" for a stretch or two. Oh well, we weren't in a rush, which was nice for a change.

We had a tasty dinner out on Saturday night. It was at a BYOB, so we brought our own bottle of Cloudy Bay. This is a well-known New Zealand wine that we were too cheap to try in New Zealand. It was actually pretty good, as far as whites go. The food was good too, although the portions were almost too big. We're used to places like this serving just the right amount, leaving us satisfied but not so weighed down. I have this problem of needing to eat every last bit of whatever is in front of me, especially when bringing leftovers home isn't an option. I had a steak; R had the fish (there it is again!).

Sunday we got up, visited a small museum in town, toured some country roads and bridges, checked out the view from a tower, and returned home in time to edit some video. It was only two nights, but it was a relaxing get-away, a chance for some quality time together minus the usual stress of day-to-day life.

Just because I have them online, here are a few more shots from the weekend: [1] [2] [3]

Oh, and if you are wondering if any of this is the "big news" I alluded to last week... keep waiting.

0 comments: