Sunday, June 11, 2006

Mason

As a good way to get my mind off of my recent life-changing decisions, we went to a Mason Jennings concert in Philly on Friday night. Mason has the distinction of being the artist I have seen perform live the most number of times (still in single digits, I believe, but quickly approaching double). Friday was not my favorite show of his, but it was decent. Standout songs for me were "Some Say I'm Not" and the wildly experimental "Where the Sun Had Been," both from his new album, as well as the couple of tracks he played off Use Your Voice, "Crown" and "Uylsses." I was happy to hear his new stuff because it had been a few years since I'd last seen him play, but it was disappointing that he played very few older songs, and rather than mixing them in with the newer material, he tacked the obligatory "Butterfly" and a half-hearted "Godless" to the end of the encore. That, along with the new drummer screwing up the end of the latter was an off-putting way to end the show. Oh well, the concert was still a treat. I recommend checking out one of his shows if you ever have the chance.

In other entertainment news, we have reactivated our Netflix account! We already watched The Squid and the Whale and Matchpoint. Munich and Shopgirl are up next. I've been feeling a little movie deprived lately, so this is exactly what I need.

0 comments: