Sunday, April 20, 2008

Restaurant Week ad

One of the more lucrative video editing assignments I've taken also happens to have the shortest final runtime of any of them. I was given a bunch of still photos and asked to make a 30-second commercial to air on local cable and online (see www.CityRestaurantWeek.com). That sounds simple enough. The first cut came together relatively quickly and painlessly. The tweaking stage is where it was drawn out. First we had to re-record the voice over after shortening the script and I had to re-synch up the video with the new audio. Then I had to add some sponsors, swap out a few photos, and slow down the ending. I was still happy with the results up to that point, but I should have known the changes wouldn't stop coming until the video was ruined. It was last week when I was away for work when I received the kicker: one of the restaurants dropped out and I'd have to do some late night editing when I returned from my trip in order to make the new deadline and get this thing on TV. Removing the restaurant from the list of names wasn't the problem. It was the line that says "Serving you from a price-fixed menu are ELEVEN downtown and riverfront restaurants." Ideally, the revised line would say "ten" instead of "eleven," but there was no way to do that short of re-recording the entire voice over. So I made the decision to just remove the word "eleven." On paper the line makes sense without it. However, performing the actual cut in the recording was not so seamless. It's an obvious blemish in a final product that I was otherwise proud of. Give the video a play, and let me know if you notice the problem.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you hadn't told me about the word delete, i would of never noticed it and even then I had to listen to the ad 3X to even detect it at all. you do good work ! mrak