Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Bud Light Film Crew #5

See it at the usual place: www.BudLightFilmCrew.com

I'm upset about the opening shot. By the time I roll into the close up, Chris' face is way washed out. The camera light I have been using on these shoots restricts me from getting too close and too far from the talent. In this case I obviously got too close. And there was nothing I could do about it in post-production. The funny thing is, I've had a new light with a blue-tinted filter that would help diffuse it (and cool off the color temperature), but I haven't been able to use it yet. I bought it back in March, but it has been sitting in my closet since then because up until yesterday I didn't have an adapter needed between the light and battery pack. The backordered item finally came in, so next month I'm promising better, softer lighting.

Then there's the other thing... the guys from Bud Light noticed a Miller Lite poster in one shot on a wall behind the drummer. I've had to cover up logos for other beer brands before (hopefully you haven't noticed), but this one was particularly tricky because the logo is behind the drummer's moving arms/sticks. Unless he happened to be shot in front of a blue screen, there's no way I could insert something behind him. Cutting the shot wasn't an option either. It anchors the second half of the video because it's one of two shots where the band member you see is actually playing the music you hear. So what I ended up doing was place a few squiggly lines over the poster. They are over the arms/sticks too, but the lines are thin enough so that they are not very noticeable. It's the best I could do on short notice.

The video isn't as much of a stand out as last month's, but I like it. It's another one that came together fast. I went with my gut feel on the editing rather than stressing over every frame and second-guessing each cut. What it loses to roughness, it gains from the carefree, less-calculated vibe it has running through it. I think we really captured the essence of rock 'n' roll here. Maybe this is a step toward me making more impressionistic Bud Light videos. Wait, isn't that an oxymoron?

0 comments: