Thursday, May 24, 2007

Lost in thought

The season 3 finale of Lost aired last night, and it did not disappoint. Anyone frustrated about the loose ends and new questions presented should have known not to expect a neat resolution. The series is 60% complete. Ending it now would be like trying to end The Lord of the Rings trilogy with The Two Towers. More time is needed to finish the story. Watching this show requires extreme patience; there's a lot of waiting involved. In the end, I believe the completed series will be landmark achievement, the archetype for all serial television to follow. I am enjoying following it every step of the way.

That said, I'm glad the TV season is over. I get a little more caught up in it than I like to admit. Now I'll have the chance to do other things, like watch TV on DVD. I'm only partially kidding. No, I think it would be good for us to get out more. I'm definitely a homebody -- the less stuff I'm required to do, the better. I can keep myself busy enough when there's nothing on my schedule. R, however, likes having lots to do. If we focused on my preferred lifestyle for a good chunk of the winter, then it seems fair to focus on R's for at least the summer. I do have fun when we go out and do things; I'm just not motivated to do the planning. I feel guilty for leaving it all up to R. I'll try to work on this.

For the record, my theory for the next season of Lost is that the castaways will in fact be rescued. They will go home in the next episode! But upon returning, everyone's life will turn sour (a la Jack's flash-forward) because the rescue wasn't meant to happen. Some "course correction" will end up bringing them back to the island--similar to how Charlie was meant to die and it inevitably happened despite the earlier attempts at changing his future. Season 4 will be all about how the group gets back to the island so they can fulfill their destiny, which will be explored in the remaining two seasons. That's my take at the moment. There's not much evidence to go on, so the best anybody can do is guess.

0 comments: