Sunday, August 06, 2006

The new grind, part 2

Not only do we get free coffee at my new job, but we get to choose between coffee from Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, or Wawa. They also have this machine that apparently can make a wide variety of blends, not to mention hot chocolate or tea. Oh, and if you want soda, they have a wide selection of that too. That's just the beverages. They provide lunch as well. Each Monday they stock a fridge full of all kinds of deli meat and cheeses. They also have yogurt, chips, and cookies. And get this: on Wednesdays and Fridays they bring in lunch from a restaurant for everybody. Last week we had Mexican one day and pizza on the other. This is a great deal. I'm psyched about the food.

Another perk about this new job, as I mentioned before, is the casual environment. I started out the week wearing my nicest khakis with a long-sleeved, buttoned-downed shirt tucked into them (this was already a step down from my previous job, where I had to wear a tie every day). By the end of the week I was wearing cargo shorts and flip-flops. I wouldn't have done it, but I thought I would actually fit in better if I did since even the co-founder of the company was wearing that garb the day before. I definitely didn't look out of place. To be honest though, I didn't feel that comfortable wearing shorts. I think I'll bump my own dress code up to at least jeans for the time being. Sure it's convenient to wear whatever, but I feel more professional and productive with shoes on. Plus, most of the clothes I own are khakis and polo shirts anyway, so I might as well wear them.

Now, about the cubicles... In order to "facilitate open communication," they built the cube walls to be about three feet tall. When the guy who hired me sits at his desk, he is staring right at me. When I sit at my desk, I'm staring at my project leader, from about four feet away. There is no privacy at all. It could take some getting used to.

I think the job will work out okay. I'm a little insecure about my abilities and still not convinced a job like this plays to my strengths. It also doesn't help that everybody else at the place appears to be a workoholic. I think they are expecting a lot out of me; that can be a little daunting.

So begins another week. I'm looking forward to getting back into a regular workout schedule this week. I'm going to try to hit the gym in the mornings, before work. I also plan to set up a wireless router in our house this week. That way I can update my blog from my new laptop while hanging with R in the living room : )

0 comments: