Friday, November 14, 2008

Tea time (the fire situation)

Click on the map to enlarge it. That way you can see the scale and the legend. The little red target is where we live (and where I spent an intense 10-hour work day typing away at this computer for a bunch of coworkers who had no idea about the wildfire up the street from me). So we're about half a mile from an evacuation warning. I think we're safe, as it seems unlikely the fire will come any further into the town, but it has made for an exciting last 24 hours, and I'm definitely keeping my eye on the news.

Last night I could see the orange glow from right outside our front door. R saw flames in the hills on her drive home from work. We lost power for a little while. Actually, that's how I found out about the fire. I was getting all excited about having an excuse to eat an ice-cream sandwich, and then a neighbor starts running around the courtyard shouting "We all need to leave! I've seen this before -- these fires move fast!" She left, so I haven't heard any more from her. The other neighbors have assured me we're not in danger (at least not yet). But that didn't stop me from getting a few things together (e.g. insurance paperwork, computer backup DVDs) just in case I had to head out of the door in a hurry any time soon. I never did have that ice-cream sandwich.

There is still ash, smoke, and the sound of helicopters in the air. Those aren't features associated with hurricanes, but I'm reminded of the storms we experienced in Alabama nevertheless. I have a fun map of Hurricane Ivan pointed right at our house saved on those computer backup DVDs. 24 years in Minnesota and the worst I experienced was a snowstorm. Upon leaving, R and I been exposed to a surprising number of natural disasters. Let's hope the "Big One" can hold off a few more years.

The name "Tea Fire" is being used as a label because the fire apparently started at some tea house or possibly a tea garden in Montecito. I haven't gotten the official word on that yet. The name doesn't sound that frightening, but tell that to the 200 families who lost their homes. When I was a kid my biggest fear was our house burning down. I can't imagine how devastating that would be. Let's mark wildfires as a point against California.

I should go. I feel like I still have a ton of things I want/need to do online, and I would eventually like to get away from this desk tonight too. R has been working late hours, but being that it's Friday and everybody in the area seems to be distracted by the fire, I expect her home soon. The other night, however, she didn't make it back until after midnight, so you never know. It's been a tiring week like that. I set my alarm for 2:00 this morning, so I could check out the news and make sure the fire wasn't heading our way. I don't think we are set up on the reverse 911 call. There's another thing I should look up online...

1 comments:

ChelseaRose said...

I went ahead and ate an ice cream sandwich in your honor.