Monday, September 01, 2008

Beachy keen

California scored another point today for its convenient beach access. R and I boogied it up this afternoon at a beach that was more scenic, less crowded, and much closer to home than any of the beaches in Delaware or Alabama ever were to us. (Alabama also has the hurricane season working against it these days, so we're not exactly missing living there, although I will say its low cost of real estate does sound appealing right now.) The beach was fun today. I hope the end of summer doesn't keep us from returning in the coming weeks/months. Around here I'm guessing we have a little longer to work with.

Tomorrow is the first day back at school, isn't it? I get shivers thinking about that for some reason, even if it has little effect on my life any more. I remember all of those Labor Day evenings spent in dreaded anticipation, reviewing my locker combination over and over, wondering about my new class schedule and if I'd be able to find the right rooms, worried my classmates wouldn't like me anymore. To be honest I still have dreams related to those fears. I get a sense of relief when September comes around and my job doesn't change. There are things about school that I miss, but the first day of a new year is not one of them.

By the way, I'm planning to do some EDITING this week. My inspiration has been lost, but this weekend has gone a long way toward finding it.

0 comments: