Sunday, August 31, 2008

The good music continues

Last night we attended a concert by a band named Threadspinner in an intimate venue just on the other side of the mountains. The lead guitarist is one of R's coworkers, and his wife is the lead singer. I mentioned them in my previous entry and how we have similar tastes in music. "Homesick rock for moonlit walks" is how they describe their style. It fits. The steady, entrancing build of their songs to a swirling ocean of noise made for an atmosphere I won't soon forget. And what a great place for a concert -- an old stage coach stop on the side of the mountain, ten miles out of town, with good beer on tap. When we stepped outside afterwards, the stars were brighter than usual, and the people were in good spirits being that it was the middle of a long weekend. I had a great time.

Tonight we saw another concert of sorts, both bigger and smaller. It was the film U2 3D, now playing at the Arlington theater. I know a film can't compare to a live concert, but this was close. It may not have been as entertaining as being next to the stage at an actual U2 show, but seeing a performance in 3D from many different camera angles with amazingly crisp audio was pretty close... and probably a step up from seeing the band from the upper level at the Target Center (in the Twin Cities). No, I couldn't sing along, or even clap, being that I was in a movie theater, but this was easily the best recorded representation of the band I've experienced. I have quite a history with them -- a lot of memories tied to the music -- so it's always a treat to see them play. Plus, wearing 3D glasses is fun.

0 comments: