Monday, January 21, 2008

Return of the Sneaky Peek

Our local independent movie theater discontinued their monthly Sneaky Peek a while ago, and I have been missing it. Their movie selection process could have used a little work, but the concept was grand: Everybody shows up to watch a movie, the title of which is not announced ahead of time. The audience doesn't know what they are watching until the opening credits give it away. Ah, the suspense!

To make up for the lack of anonymous entertainment in Wilmington, R and I hosted our own Sneaky Peek last Wednesday night, albeit on a smaller scale. We had 8 people over to have a few drinks, to eat some popcorn and various dips, and to watch... Primer. It's a movie that can lead to some major discussion and possibly some minor headaches because of it's circular time-travel logic. Everybody seemed to enjoy it. I think it was a good pick for a group that was more than half engineers. The movie was actually made by an engineer who quit his job, made the movie for $7000, and brought it to Sundance to win the grand jury prize.

I'm hoping our friends decide to host their own Sneaky Peeks in the coming months. It would be fun to pass it around and see what other people decide on for the group to watch. I'm going to start working on my next pick already. These are the kinds of things that give me a thrill.

0 comments: