Sunday, July 30, 2006

Wrapped

Our last day of shooting was bittersweet. We could have filmed the scenes we needed in half the time, but nobody rushed. It was a rare day when a lack of time was not the driving force, when we had the opportunity to shoot some extras for the DVD and revel in the lingering sense of accomplishment. As good as it felt to be done with all of the hard work involved in making this movie, maybe nobody wanted it to end. Or maybe it was just me.

If I'm sounding particularly sentimental, it's probably because of the wrap party on Friday night. We met at the Crimson Moon in Little Italy for drinks, and I had a great time. Everybody seemed to have such a positive experience with this project. The way we gushed about each other and the results we achieved, you'd think we were being taped for one of those self-promoting, behind the scenes documentaries where everybody says "this is the best movie ever." It's easy to think that before you see the finished product (and when you have a few drinks in you). I can soberly say, however, that I am proud to have been a part of it. The cinematography, for one thing, should be outstanding for a low-budget, independent film.

I was a bit disappointed that a few of the crew members were not able to attend the party. They were already moving on to their next projects and didn't have time to take a break and look back at this one. Most everybody involved is freelance and going their separate ways. I guess the same could be said about me, at least the separate ways part. My new job with AdminServer starts tomorrow; I'm going to give it a fair chance.

Now that I'm going to be employed again, R and I felt justified to go out and spend some money on Saturday. We bought some things for the house, including a Dyson vacuum cleaner, which I will say has been most impressive so far. Our carpet sighed in relief after a much needed cleaning.

We also went out for a seafood dinner and a movie yesterday. We saw Lady in the Water, and for the first time, M. Night Shyamalan disappointed me. The movie was imaginative and had the potential to be a clever critique on story-telling, but the pieces just did not come together. It was dull and unemotional. I was left underwhelmed.

0 comments: