Saturday, June 21, 2008

Santa Barbara, 93103

R and I are feeling a little like Brandon and Brenda Walsh (although thank goodness we're not brother and sister) after they moved from Minnesota to ritzy Beverly Hills, 90210. My inferiority complex is telling me everybody here is more attractive, healthy, wealthy, intelligent, and charismatic than I'll ever be. Not that I'm complaining -- the best way to develop those traits is to be around people with those traits, even if I'm insecure the whole time.

I already feel inspired to eat healthier and get more exercise. That should be easier than usual considering this place probably has the best weather in the United States. It's been in the 80s and sunny every day since we got here, and the real kicker is that we're not expecting rain until October. Actually people saying the weather has been unusually hot; a comfortable upper 70s is more typical... and that's YEAR ROUND. Maybe this isn't a good thing, however, as I do enjoy having an excuse to stay in once in a while. I might just miss my reclusive January.

There will be plenty to do outside though. We have an ocean in front of us and mountains behind us. And they're close. From where we're living right now, we could probably WALK to either one in 30 minutes. If we hop on a bike we can do it faster. People travel from all over the country (world?) to visit a place like this, so we're going to try to make use of it. We've been wanting to get more serious about hiking since before the New Zealand trip, so now's our chance.

We're also anxious to take some driving trips. Hollywood and Beverly Hills are only 90 miles away. San Francisco is more like 300, which is doable for a weekend. Wine country is right up the road. Vegas isn't too far. Plus there are a bunch of famous national parks in this state that will be a must to see.

We'll want to spend some time in Santa Barbara itself as well. It's a smaller town than I expected and pretty easy to get around in. The streets are biker and pedestrian friendly. (I want to buy a skateboard and "commute" to work at a coffee shop a few mornings each week. Let's consider that a goal.) They have open-air malls and old-style, single screen movie theaters. All the roofs have Spanish tiles. There are exotic plants and cacti everywhere. It's quite scenic indeed.

It hasn't all sunk in yet. I keep thinking I'm on vacation and we'll be returning to the real world soon. We can't possibly live here. But I think I'll get used to it okay. The problem will be getting used to somewhere else after this.

0 comments: