Tuesday, June 17, 2008

R.E.M.

Wednesday night of this week, our last night of living out east, will be spent at an R.E.M. concert in Philadelphia. I used to be only a casual listener of this band. I was familiar with their hits and would occasionally play Monster during a drive in the car. My brother had a cassette of Out of Time when we were growing up and I considered "Losing My Religion" to be on my list of all-time favorite songs for quite a while. Then, a few years ago, I began a years-long examination of their catalogue for the simple reason that I knew I was missing something (I've done this with The Cure too but wasn't quite as comprehensive). So I started with Murmur and worked my way forward through each of their albums, spending months with each one before moving on to the next.

I found the first half of their career to be some of the most satisfying music in my collection. After reaching their pinnacle of commercial success with Automatic for the People, the quality and re-playability dropped off a little, but at the very least they continued to deliver great singles. There are so many hidden gems that I've found or rediscovered from their work in the 80s. Here are just a couple of highlighted songs that come to mind: "Pretty Persuasion", "Can't Get There from Here", "Begin the Begin", "Fall on Me", "Pop Song 89," and many more. It's amazing how my impression of the familiar songs changed when I put them in perspective of release dates and the arc of their transition from underground favorite to a mainstream, stadium-playing mega-band. It's hard to believe Reveal was made by the same band that made Murmur, yet the steps in their evolution are clear and natural.

The only album in their catalogue I skipped -- but still might check out eventually -- is Around the Sun. I like the single "Leaving New York" from it, but the album as a whole seems universally disliked. Yes, I should form my own impression of it before judging it; I honestly just haven't had the chance during the rush to "study up" before the concert.

I do own their latest, Accelerate, and think it is the return-to-form fans have been waiting for, but I also think pointing backwards is an easy way out and a sign that a band that doesn't know where else to go. U2 has done something similar with their last two albums. The results of these throw-backs are enjoyable and entertaining, but ultimately less satisfying than a step forward. Maybe they are the sign of a band that has matured and is now feeling aged. I don't fault either band though. How many times can they reinvent themselves anyway? I wouldn't want them to stop releasing albums on account of not having anything ground-breaking to share. They can leave that business to younger bands.

Seeing R.E.M. alone would have made for a good concert, but to top it off, The National and Modest Mouse are the opening acts. I'm expecting mixed feelings about Modest Mouse live, but The National? Even if they feel like fish out of water in a stadium, I'm expecting a great performance. I think these guys are following a similar path to R.E.M.'s. They've already released some amazing work (have I recommended Boxer enough yet?), and I'm sure they have more to come.

0 comments: