Monday, June 18, 2007

Nerdy and numb

As if I'm not nerdy enough already, I began writing some pulp science fiction the other day. It's one of those projects I'm starting that I'll probably never finish. I just like planting a plot idea once in a while and seeing where it goes without getting hung up on the details. If I were really brave, I'd post chapters on this blog as I write them. But, yeah, no.

Helping fuel this nerd complex of mine, R and I went to a barbeque at one of her coworkers' home on Saturday night, and I realized that I'm really out of touch with drinking games (or, more likely, was never in touch with them in the first place). Apparently beer pong can be played without paddles. And how about this game called Thumper? What do the neighbors think of the rowdy group sitting out on the deck pounding on a table and yelling obscenities? I think it's pretty well accepted here on the east coast. It just sounds like a day at the office. The neighbors probably aren't home anyway -- they're probably all at the office.

You know what? They aren't kidding when they say soda can rot your teeth. A few years ago my dentist told me as long as I don't drastically change my diet I should never have a cavity in my life. I used to drink maybe one soda a month. Since beginning work with my new company, where the soda flows freely, I switched to about one can per week. Apparently that slight change in diet was enough to give me my first two cavities. Strangely enough, I started flossing regularly in the last six months as well as using the, supposedly, best electric toothbrush on the market (the Oral-B Triumph). Maybe it was too little too late, but those precautions were taken to work on my gums -- I wasn't even concerned about cavities. Anyway, good-bye, perfect teeth. I'm done with soda, by the way.

Two weeks ago we went to the Greek festival, last week it was the Italian festival, and this week we'll likely drop by the jazz festival. It's that time of year in Wilmington, I guess.

I hope this day finds you well. Farewell for now.

0 comments: