Monday, November 13, 2006

How to disappear completely

One night last week I met with a group of four guys from Out-and-About magazine who, I believe, are in key roles to shape Wilmington's image or at least the image of its night life. I've been in contact with one of them for a while now and even created "PC vs. Me" with his purpose of getting people out of the house in mind. Well, I think we may have finally decided where I fit in with the publication of their magazine. I agreed to shoot and edit a 60-second segment each month that will be posted on their website and do the following: (1) show people in local bars having a good time and (2) advertise for Bud Light. We're going to do things like cover the Best Bartender Contest at Kahunaville or tape people giving the camera their favorite pickup line and then whittle the footage down to a minute for each segment. There are more details, but I don't want to share them yet. The first video is due by the start of the new year, so you shouldn't have to wait long to see what I'm talking about.

On Saturday I had another opportunity to pursue my hobby. I traveled down to Maryland to help a friend, who I met on Jack of Clubs, shoot a faux commercial for a video production class he is taking. The project is about at the level of "PC vs. Me," which you know is not too high, but I enjoy working on small projects like that. My friend had some expensive equipment at his disposal, courtesy of his school, so that increased our production value right there. I'm not going to be involved with the post-production process for this one, so I'll be curious to see what the finished product looks like, especially since I did have some input into it. I contributed to the concept for the commercial by suggesting the use of a very simple--yet impressive looking--technique I once applied in a short video that I included on my Cottage Cheese DVD. If you have half a minute, take a look at the experiment I'm referring to. It is titled "Disappearing Act."

0 comments: