Friday, May 19, 2006

Desperate Househusband

Moving, to a new state especially, is a lot of work. My wife and I recently made the move from Mobile, Alabama to Wilmington, Delaware. After a tumultuous few months of selling, buying, renting, packing, unpacking, closing, opening, quitting, starting, searching, and road tripping, we are finally settling. To say the least, it feels really good to have a home again.

The next thing for me to square away is a job. I've been enrolled in a career transition program with a group called Right Management Consultants (courtesy of my wife's company). They have helped me get my resume in shape and have been a valuable means of networking. It doesn't help, however, that I'm not yet sure of what kind of job I want. My experience is in Information Systems, and although I have been successful in the field and gained some good experience, I have found the work to be unsatisfying and would prefer to do something that involves more creativity.

I do have one thing lined up. In June I will be starting a five-week internship with a filmmaker from the area who is going to be shooting a movie here. It’s not exactly Hollywood, and it’s a no-pay position, but it could lead to something bigger. This looks like a step in a more creative direction for my career. We’ll see if anything comes out of it. In the meantime, I'll try to learn more about myself and what is available out there.

There's also plenty of work to do around the house. We're going to start painting the walls next week for one thing. Add on the usual chores (cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping, etc) and that's almost a full time job right there. I will be grateful for any additional free time I can find. I've got a couple of editing projects just begging for attention.

0 comments: