Monday, July 21, 2008

Skating or dying

The rumors are true -- I bought a skateboard. R thinks I'm suffering a post-quarter-life crisis, and that might be true, but knowing it is not enough to stop me from having a good time with this. I rode a skateboard until about the 6th grade and then it became something only punks did. I didn't fit the image in junior high, so I gave it up to play video games instead. California seems more accepting of different types of skateboarders because, frankly, it's a nice way for anyone to get around town. My impression is that even nerdy (not necessarily geek chic) looking people can get away with it if they are using the board as a means of transportation. I don't exactly plan on joining the 12-year-olds to do hand plants at the skate park, but I already mentioned how nice it would be to skate down to the coffee shop once in a while. Yesterday afternoon I made it to the used record store to look for old albums by The Replacements; a record store is about the coolest place you can take a skateboard.

Aside from all that, a skateboard is simply an iconic Californian thing to own. I like seeing it propped up against a wall in the apartment. I bought the board used off of Craigslist, so I don't have a lot invested in it. If it turns out this isn't for me or if we buy a house that is quite a way out of town, I'm pretty sure I can sell it and recoup the minor expense.

It is more difficult to ride one of these things than I remember. Either that or I was a lot more fearless back in the day. Just balancing seems to be quite an effort now. Somehow I was expecting to remember how to ollie (or jump, for those of you not in the know), but apparently the feel for that doesn't stick with a person like riding a bike does.

I'm paying attention to the surfaces of roads and sidewalks more than usual these days. When I was shopping around, I couldn't decide between a long board with larger, softer wheels or the more compact, trick-friendly board that I ended up with. I may have made the wrong decision because on my board the wrong road can cause some major vibration and the cracks in pavement can be unexpectedly dangerous. The last thing I need is a broken wrist. That would make my job quite a bit more difficult (not to mention video editing).

Speaking of editing, I'm looking forward to re-entering the world of video production after my biggest break from it in years. I don't have any new paid jobs lined up yet, but I do have three of my own editing projects waiting for me. I'm also getting anxious to shoot something new, before I forget everything I learned about my camera. I've been too busy enjoying the weather outside during the evenings to dive into anything. Give me a little more time.

Just a reminder: I've been adding photos to my online Santa Barbara gallery, located here. Check them out and expect more soon.

0 comments: